Thursday 27 September 2012

Brave New World.

The House of Illustration have launched their new competition to illustrate a book for The Folio Society. Last year the book was Angela Carter's The Bloody Chamber and this year it will be Aldous Huxley's Brave New World. It's the chance for illustrators who have not previously worked with The Folio Society to get their work seen which is great for people like myself. I know little about the book in question except that it would probably not be on my ideal reading list given the choice (dystopian prophesies of a new age isn't quite the thing I'm used to reading, or indeed, illustrating! as former posts will show) but I think because of that it could be a unique challenge to set myself. Certainly the cover of the book I've been lent by my dad is in dire need of redesigning (although dad argued that you can't go wrong with Masaccio! It's true but there's a time and a place and a thumbnail size version of The Expulsion on a plain chocolate brown background is definitely neither). In the same way that you can learn something from arguing the opposite point to what you believe in a debate, I feel that I just might do the same from trying to illustrate something that I would usually not even look at twice. In a way, you become less preciouses about the result that way and in these cases great things can sometimes happen. I am flexing my fingers in readiness. This could be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment